Sunday, March 18, 2012

bubble bubble

I've caught the bubble bug. Yup, ever since I had some Cookies n' Cream ice-blended with Pearl drink at Java Jazz earlier this month (I had THREE in just 36 hours!), I've been craving constantly for those chewy black bubbles!

Here in Singapore, I'm in the search for the best glass of bubble drink (the best for my tastebuds, anyways.) Tried a version using Chocolate Milk from Gong Cha Plaza Singapura (can't remember the price exactly but my guesstimation is $3+), but found the pearl tapioca to be somewhat unpleasant tasting after a while.

The object of my obsession 

Then, by chance I discovered Kopi With Pearl ($3) at the Asian food court at Lucky Plaza, where I frequently go to enjoy halal Indonesian grub. A no-frills stall, the coffee is the kind that is handmade hot by a Chinese uncle using condensed milk, before adding it into a glass with bubbles and topped with ice. I'm not much of a coffee drinker so the fact that I fantasize about this one is really kind of a big deal.

If you prefer an ice-blended version, all you gotta do is go up two floors and look for a tiny shop called Cool Express. They make various flavors of pearl drinks and even offer daily specials at just $1 per glass. Being an Oreo lover meant that I went for their Cookies n' Cream. Gotta say that the first time I had this it was the "Flavor of The Day," which meant it was pre-prepared and didn't taste so good. But yesterday, I paid the usual price of $2.50, had it made on-the-spot and was delighted to find that it tasted very similar to the one I had at Java Jazz. Yummo.

And last but definitely not least, there is Chatime. My ex-roomie, Tania, insists that their pearl tapioca is the most delish. After much deliberation (I walked past the stall four times before finally giving in to temptation), I decided to try their Hazelnut Chocolate Milk Tea with Pearls ($3.80) with 30% sweetness and less ice. All I can say is thank goodness it's not too close to my place, or else I'd be in big, big trouble!

So there you have it. My verdict on some of the bubble drinks available in Singapore. I know this review isn't complete what with me leaving out places such as Each A Cup, I Love Taimei, and best-seller KOI, but I really gotta put a halt on this now before it gets too convenient for this bubble nut to get a cup anywhere...

1 comment:

KA said...

Come back to KL and stuff yourself with bubbles while doing reviews. Too many here. Hehe. *Pening.